Sunday, April 10, 2011

A weekend before holidays

So this is my first official blog post! I have had this blog for almost 2 years now and have completely neglected to write anything until now. I set it up at a library conference I was at in the University of Limerick while I worked at the National Library of Ireland. That was June 2009 and it's odd to think how much has happened since then. I am now living in Devon and am a qualified librarian, working in a secondary school (who would have guessed that!)

I got my Easter holidays on Friday. I had been looking forward to them for so long as this half-term has felt really long. I don't know how I will ever go back to a job with a standard 20 or so days of holidays a year! I do tend to get bored with time off though so I am hoping to make more use of the next 2 weeks. I am hoping to get quite a bit of work done on my dissertation in the next 4 days and then Rik and I are off to Ireland on Friday morning. It will be great to catch up with friends and family and have the opportunity to use my Irish only vocabulary (words like 'press' and 'eejit' that people here do not understand). I also hope to do some sight-seeing too, as my trips home are sort of my holidays now.

Yesterday Rik and I spent the day in Exeter. It was such a beautiful day, perfect for wandering the city. I picked up a birthday present for a friend and some birthday cards. No shopping for myself unfortunately, as I am trying to spend as little as possible. We then went to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams at the Picturehouse. It's the first 3D movie I've seen in a long time. I enjoyed certain aspects of it, particularly the sequences inside the cave set to music. I had quite a few reservations about it though. A lot of it was a little too odd for me; the questions asked by Verner Herzog in interviews in particular. I am also still unsure how I feel about the 3D. I think for the cave sequences it worked really well, but other than that I felt it was pointless. It hasn't changed my overall view of 3D though and I am still hoping that the producers of HP7b decide to release it in 2D.


This morning I made pancakes (sadly without blueberries as both Sainsbury's and Co-op were out of them). It's another gorgeous day so I think some outdoor activity and a picnic are on the cards. I do love the sun!

2 comments:

  1. Love the flowers/window pic! Beautiful. I am an official fan of 'Carol's World'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to Fowey! Something about that post reminded me of it. I am horribly jealous of your settledness. And I miss youuuu.

    Hurrah for your bloggyness. I'm sad it's not wordpress like mine though. Now we can't be blog buddies... Sorry Carol.. :P

    PS - Pancake pictures!

    ReplyDelete