Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cornwall and a spot of shopping

Now that I have returned to the world of work and reality (at least temporarily) I thought I would reflect back on what was a wonderfully work-free and reality-free month. I worked a total of 9 days in the month of April and thoroughly enjoyed the other 21. I am only working two days this week as I am accompanying students on a residential to Torquay on Thursday, but it does still feel like today ushered in a return to normality.

I've already covered most of the month of April in my last two posts, so thought I would talk about how I spent the Royal Wedding long weekend. Firstly I have to admit that I got completely sucked into the fairytale world of the royals; castles, princes, jewels, dresses... 


I had no intentions of watching the wedding, but found myself wikipedia-ing the royal family the night before (never a good sign for an Irish person). I was thus reliably informed on all matters royal (for instance I knew all the options for Kate's title post-marriage and the fact that only five members of the royal family have obtained university degrees). The following morning I ended up watching live on the BBC website as the wonder unfolded. I only watched for an hour but have to admit I welled up on more than one occasion. The Middleton ladies' dresses were beautiful! And her Dad looked so proud. Then at 11.30am it was off to Cornwall.

En route to Padstow we paid a visit to Lanhydrock. The house is the most beautiful National Trust property that I've visited, with parts dating back to the 17th century. The Long Gallery (below - please excuse poor camera work) is stunning - in particular the plasterwork ceiling. There was a young guy playing the piano at the far end and it transported me to a world of the past and helped fuel my royal daydream. Following a cream tea and walk in the gardens it was off to Padstow.


The 'Obby 'Oss festival happens in Padstow on May Day every year, but we were cleverly avoiding that and went to enjoy the peace and quiet of Padstow Touring Park. I still haven't gotten my Rick Stein fish and chips, but did have a tasty pasty and chocolate crepe. I love listening to rain falling, but I think it is even better when you are in a caravan/mobile home on holidays. I managed to get through some more of my latest Carnegie book, Prisoner of the Inquisition, but am still not quite finished.

Yesterday I was feeling a little extravagant, having just been paid last week, so decided to do a little shopping in Exeter. Considering I was once a massive spendthrift I think I have been really good in the last year. My main purchase was this glorious bag:


I've been looking for a brown leather satchel for some time and this fit the bill. It is may be a little smaller than my ideal but other than that it is great. It was £69 in M&S, but luckily there was 20% off and my lovely Mom had given me a gift voucher, so it only cost me £14. The day was topped off with lunch at Wagamama and tea and cake in Boston's. All together a very pleasant end to a very pleasant month (even if yesterday was May). Back to Cornwall again in less than two weeks for the Du Maurier festival. Excitement...

3 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE the satchel! Lucy you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've been looking for one for aaages but wanted something specific. It smells all nice and new-leather-like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not jealous of you having only worked 9 days in the month of April. Honest. Really!
    Well done you on getting such a bargain on the satchel; I hope it lives up to your expectations.
    We watched the 90 repeat of the wedding on Fri evening - I hadn't intended to but as soon as I was home from work I had the news on for clips and then Dave spotted it was on at 8pm so that was it. Lovely to watch :)

    ReplyDelete